When one is working in a restaurant probably the last thing one thinks about is carbon monoxide poisoning. I mean after all when we think of that we think of someone leaving their car engine running in a garage and suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
We put a carbon monoxide alarm in our home. Since carbon monoxide is odorless and without color if we were to suffer from high levels of carbon monoxide in our home we have the faith that our alarm will sound and tell us there is a problem and we should get the professionals in and determine where the carbon monoxide is and to rectify the problem.
But where does carbon monoxide come from in a restaurant? Well I will tell you it is from a deep fat fryer. You know the one that prepares the delicious french fries or fish and chips. If the vent hood or fryer exhaust is not cleaned or working properly carbon monoxide can be a real problem for cooks working in the kitchen that shift. It can fill up the air very quickly.
Carbon monoxide is real. It can cause headaches, nausea, and dizziness. If the situation becomes worse it can lead to unconsciousness and even death.
So as a restaurant manager or general manager one of your top priorities is to make sure those vent hoods and fryer exhaust are clean.
If not it would be like having a living room with a fireplace going but having nowhere for the smoke to go. All that would happen is the smoke would not go away but instead remain in your space. That would be pretty uncomfortable wouldn’t it?
For the people who clean at the end of their shift please make certain that your hoods and fryers are clean. It will prevent an injury no doubt.
Carbon monoxide is what I call a silent killer.