The only time I will do it is if their glasses are almost empty or empty and they are looking for me to top them up or I have just delivered their main course.
The reasons I do not do it any other time are the following.
1. Because of the drinking and driving laws people like to pace their consumption of alcohol at the table.
2. Because of the above I have to ask everyone one by one if they would like some wine which creates a disturbance at the table.
3. If I go ahead and pour the wine without asking I may have poured , even if it was a little bit , into a glass of a guest who really didn’t want any more. Thereby wasting the wine.
4. People at the table would rather pour their own wine setting the pace rather than have their glasses topped up all the time.
5. Some people just like very little wine in their glass at a time.
Okay call me an idiot or a terrible server , whatever you want , but the days of every two minutes topping up a glass of wine are needless. I like to let the people enjoy their meal without bothering them every second they look up.
Now water is a different story….