Just a thought but I think every table we serve should have a customer comment card given to them upon presentation of the bill for a number of reasons
1. It encourages instant feedback.
2. It may explain why the tip is small.
3. It well show the employer just how good a job you are doing since a lot of the time they are not around when the compliment comes from a satisfied guest.
4. It can negate later on the email that head office gets that complains about something that could have been fixed at the time if only someone knew about it.
5. If a address or email is on the comment card the guest can be notified of any upcoming events or features that the restaurant may be planning. Also birthdays can be noted so that when the time comes send an email or make a phone call reminding them of celebrating their birthday at your establishment. This method of creating a data base to follow up on can ensure business will keep coming even during slow times.
6. It is a proactive way of contacting a guest should they have left a bad comment rather than never seeing that guest again and wondering what happened.
7. A customer comment card gives management essential feedback helping them identify some part of the service that needs improvement from the host to the kitchen to the server to the bartender. Atmosphere as well. Music too loud or air conditioning too cool , whatever.
These are some of my reasons why I think every establishment should be ready to hand out comment cards with a pen upon presentation of the bill.
Any other points you may like to add to that?